Saturday, January 16, 2010

The birth of Olivia - The Conclusion continued!!

Well...we were progressing from 7 centimeters to 9 centimeters...then FINALLY 10 CENTIMETERS!!!  It was about 1:00 by this point in the day.  We were ready to push little Miss Olivia out!!!  I was very excited to get to see her.  Before pushing began, someone was there to visit us...Who didn't follow the rules????  It was my crazy, yet loving, sister!!  She said she had taken care of Mac and then wasn't sure what she was supposed to do!!  I told her to read the blog more often to get her instructions!!  She stayed a few minutes and then said she would go back to our house to await the arrival of the new princess!!


7 centimeters dilated!!


9 centimeters dilated!!


FINALLY!!!  10 centimeters dilated!!  This should be a breeze now, right??



A quick visit from my sister to give me some extra energy before the 4 hours of pushing began!!

So we started pushing...me, Jay, and the L and D nurse.  Jay was the ABSOLUTE BEST COACH EVER!!  He just kept telling me to push harder bc I would get to see my baby soon!!  He got me water when I needed it and put ice packs on me to help me cool off.  We pushed and pushed and pushed and finally got to see the top of Olivia's head!!  She was making progress!!  We continued to push for 3 hours and realized she was turned sunny side up...which was making it harder.  Plus she had her hand on her forehead keeping her in her position.  At hour 3, we tried turning to the side to see if she would turn also...so we pushed for another hour trying to make this entire birthing process work!!  Unfortunately, it did not and we had to go for the emergency c-section.  At this point, Olivia had been stuck in the pelvic region for about an hour and a half, my water had been broked for 22 hours, and I was starting to get a fever...so the c-section was important to get done quickly.  It was 5:00pm by this point.  They rolled me down to the operating room.  They made Jay go scrub  in and get ready.  They immediately got the anesthesiologist to give me a spinal so I could not feel the pain.  This was one of the scariest parts.  Immediately after I got the spinal, I was numb all over.  I felt like I was going to throw up and started to gag but nothing would come out.  I couldn't move my head or any other part of my body. I was even having a hard time breathing... so they gave me oxygen to try and help this.  It made it worse.  When Jay was finally let in to the OR they had already started the procedure.  The nurse anesthesis tried to make him sit down and wait patiently, but he was having none of that.  He was trying to watch the monitors bc my blood pressure and heartbeat kept fluctuating and he wanted to make sure everything was ok.  He was very very nervous.  He got to watch the enitre c-section.  All I remember is them say "Look at your little girl mom" but I couldn't move my head and they rushed by before I could see her.  Olivia was born at 5:24 pm.  She weighed 7 pounds, 9 ounces and was 21.5 inches long!! 
They took her to another room.  Jay said she was blue at this point and it was several minutes before we heard her cry.  She was traumatized from being in the birthing canal for so long.  Finally, she was out and seemed to be doing well.  They made Jay leave me and go with Olivia while they finished closing me up.  Then they moved her to the recovery room to give her her first bath.  I soon joined them!!  I was definitely still groggy and in a lot of pain.  The doctors are really smart by pushing on your tummy after they just cut you open to make sure you are not bleeding...that was like pushing the baby out all over again...such pain.  Luckyily, I could see Olivia right beside me being annoyed by the nurses who were messing with her too!!  We are 2 of a kind!!


As she holds her hands up..."What took you guys so long?  I've been waiting!!"


"Seriously...I have been sitting her 30 minutes naked...can we get some clothes!!"





Daddy after Olivia before she got all cleaned up!!  They were bonding while waiting for mommy!!



"Daddy, don't ever leave me!!"


Olivia's first bath at the hospital.


So fresh and so clean clean!! A much happier baby!!

They finally wheeled us up to our room!!  I got to hold Olivia the entire way!!  This was our first meeting!! She was probably say..."mom, you really need a breath mint!!".  I didn't care...MY BABY WAS FINALLY HERE!!  When we got back to the room, I just stared at her to see all her tiny toes and fingers and beautiful eyes...she was perfect!!! 


This was the first time I got to hold my baby girl!!!  I was exhausted from the entire ordeal but this made it all worth it!!


Olivia is thanking God for keeping us all safe!!

My sister came up to visit us from the waiting room.  She did not follow the rules :)  She had been staying at our house since before noon that afternoon taking care of Mac.  When she read on Jay's facebook account that we were going in for a c-section (not time to call everyone and let them know), she got very worried and said...forget it, I'm going to the hospital.  So...she was there to see her neice shortly after we got to the room and got settled in.  Everything was so emotional.  We were both crying and just happy that everything had worked out ok...but it was a long and emotional journey!!!


Darla and me crying as she meets Olivia for the first time!!


Darla's first chat with Olivia!!

We kept Olivia in the room with us that night.  She did  a pretty good job for her first night out after all the trauma she had been through.  We tried breastfeeding that night and it seemed to work well...so we thought!!  I went to bed about 8 o'clock that night. Jay and Olivia stayed up to watch some football.  He sang songs with her and had bonding time!!  We were very glad to have her with us!!!!


Our first family photo!!!

3 comments:

  1. I am impressed you have had time to write all this. I hope things are going well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do read the blog! I tried to follow the rules. I was overwhelmed by emotion, scared, nervous, happy & releived all at the same time. There are no words to describe how I felt when I saw Joni & Olivia together for the first time. It was awesome. I never thought I could love my sister anymore than I did. But I Love her more & more every day! And Olivia she is a most precious gift from God! When I look at her I am still overwhelmed with how much I Love Her & how blessed we are! Joni & Jay are going to be great parents. I am so excited to be Aunt Darla. I Love You All!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer...Things are going great!! I love being Olivia's mom, and it makes all the difference in the world that Jay is here to help me, especially since I had the c-section.

    Darla...I LOVE YOU!!!! You did exactly what you should have done as the best sister in the world!! And no more sappy comments :) You are making me cry!!!

    LOVE YOU BOTH!!

    ReplyDelete

Olivia is here!!!

Olivia was born on January 9, 2010 at 5:24 pm. She was 7lbs 9 oz and 21.5 inches long!! We are so happy to finally have her here with us!!

Olivia's Journey